Monday, June 24, 2013

Circle of Life - Burying Gamor Snr

A fortnight after the burial and I still don't know exactly where I'm at emotionally. Throwing myself at work, picking up projects I'm passionate about and trying to build on what I know my dad would be proud of.  They say time heals, I'll wait and see.

Close friends requested that I blog my ordeal from the last hospital visit to see my dad, through identifying his body & getting the death certificate signed at the morgue, to sprinkling sand on his casket as  I payed my last respects to Snr.  I don't know if I can recount the challenges of burying my father during these past few weeks - the entire experience is still difficult to process.
Nevertheless, my father's funeral in Ghana taught me a few lessons. 5 of the top ones, as well as pictures by kind courtesy of Timmy Adei | Team 1000 words, I can share:

1. Funerals are for the living, plan with money.
2. Funerals are our (Ghanaians/Africans) version of life insurance policy, attend with money.
3. A big man/woman's presence is usually most felt (especially by dependents) in his/her absence.
4. You can't please everybody, do the best you can, not an iota more.
5. Learn to forgive, especially when forgiving is the most difficult. Not for them, but for you.

To the man who taught me to be a man, even in his absence....
















More pictures here: http://smu.gs/17yGXDA | Funeral brochure: http://bit.ly/12eQ6fA

0 comments :